Tuesday 19 April 2011

One thousand gifts....

I just wanted to share with you about an amazing book I am reading.  Why?  Simply because it was reading this book that brought me to doing this memorisation challenge.  I read her book.  I found her blog.  I saw her taking part in the challenge to learn Colossians.  And, here I am now!

Ann Voskamp writes with beauty.  With intelligence.  With an astounding honesty and depth.  I don't think I have ever read anything quite like it.  She deals with the issue of "Eucharisteo" - which means "giving thanks".  She deals with giving thanks ALWAYS.  In everything.  Especially in hard times.  Seeing the devastating moment when her younger sister was hit, and killed, by a truck, had a profound effect on her life.  You read of her journey from bitterness and heartache, to giving thanks in everything.

I need to buy myself a pretty notebook (any excuse - *giggle* ), and I will start my own "one thousand gifts" list.  It is recording those little moments of blessing, that are so easy to overlook as mundane or pedestrian, and acknowledge them as what they really are - gifts of beauty and grace from God.

My first ten...


1. dribbly smiles from my littlest child
2. daughter curled up, hidden behind the book she is reading
3. the big, red moon last night
4. the warm sunshine
5. the impromptu gift of flowers from the garden, from a child
6. extra cuddles with a poorly child
7. my dishwasher
8. teaching a child to read
9. bargains at a charity shop
10. new books arriving in the post


This  is the cheapest place to get it in the UK.  You won't regret buying it!  Who knows how it may challenge you, and create the domino effect such as it is having through my life!

Her website is here.



3 comments:

  1. I'm currently reading this book and have been touched by it as well! I went out and bought a journal (yes it gave me an excuse) and have been working on my thankful list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the referral. It looks like a wonderful book. Sarah Elisabeth is encouraging her readers to come alongside to memorize the book of Philippians in one year and has included a link to your blog. I look forward to reading more about it. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also currently reading and being blessed by this book - am also on the lookout for a nice new notebook hehe - and I love your first 10! xx

    ReplyDelete