Sunday 17 April 2011

Welcome!

"Thy word have I hid in my heart, that I night not sin against thee." Psalm 119:11

The Lord has been dealing with my heart. It's been a refreshing and uplifting experience, which has come from many quarters. It mostly centres around re-establishing my quiet times in the morning. Those tender, precious moments, where God's word strikes with that two-edged sword upon my heart. Where God speaks in a whisper one minute, and with the a humbling strength that speaks to my sinful soul the next. I have been girded up in my day-to-day life as a wife and a mother, because I am walking closer to the Saviour. I am able to give thanks, with joy, in so many ways. I am becoming, with God's grace and enabling, a more patient, gentle and loving person. "swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:" (James 1:19) is how I am trying to live my life. My heart thrills on so may levels.

I still have a long way to go, however! I need to get some of the nitty-gritty elements of the humdrum of life sorted. I need to get more organised - more disciplined. And, so here you find me starting with "first things first". If I need to be more disciplined in keeping my home in order, how much more do I need such a determination in committing the precious Word's of God to the hidden parts of my mind, my heart and life?

I have heard of so many stories, from diverse examples in history, of incidences of people memorising large portions of God's Word, and being inexplicably grateful for doing so at some point in their life, when they have either had no access to the scriptures, or have lost the ability to be able to read at all. Believer's who have gone through times of persecution and have drawn strength, peace and security from the scriptures that they hid in their hearts. How soon will this be our circumstances?.....

It's never wasted time to make the effort to memorise the scriptures. Never. And yet, I haven't done so, in any major way, in my adult years. I am thankful for the individual, or small groups of verses, that I have committed to memory. But, it's not enough! I challenge my children to push themselves in life. To always do their best. To go the extra mile. To honour God in every way they can. Am I being a good example? Are they seeing me taking the time to go over....over....over.....God's Word until it's hidden away, never to be forgotten?

That's my aim. To hide God's Word in my heart. To honour God, to be an example to my children, and ultimately so that I fulfil the last part of the verse that heads up this blog...."that I might not sin against thee". If our mind and life is filled with God and His Word, we are less likely to follow into ways that are sin.

Will you join me as I seek to have the light of God's Word illuminating from inside, out?

I will post more over the next few days, with the print-outs and the reading plan that I will be following. Looking forward to sharing the journey with those who wish to jump in with me!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for putting this blog together! I am excited to join with you as we seek to commit more of God's word to memory!

    I am praying that a musically gifted believer might join with us and set the words of scripture to song to aid those of us who learn best this way!

    What an exciting journey to be starting together. I hope to post about this on my blog to raise interest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Jennifer! Encouraging each other to learn scripture is such an exciting thing to do, and we can be nothing but blessed for doing it! it will be lovely to make new friends at the same time as honouring God! x

    ReplyDelete